Privacy Notice – Australia Travel Declaration
The Department of Home Affairs (the Department) is bound by the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) in Schedule 1 to the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act). The APPs regulate how we collect, use, store and disclose personal information, and how you may seek access to, or correction of, the personal information that we hold about you.
Why we collect your personal information
We are collecting your personal information for the purpose of supporting the response of the Australian Government and state and territory governments to the COVID-19 outbreak. We need to collect your personal information to:
- fulfil our border related and emergency management functions
- disclose the information to the Australian Government’s Department of Health to enable that Department to manage Australia’s response to COVID-19 including disclosing the information to state and territory agencies to assist with Australia’s response to COVID-19
- advise the relevant Australian Government agencies and state and territory agencies to:
- assist with COVID-19 contact tracing planning and management activities, should there be a confirmed COVID-19 case on your flight or ship
- identify people exposed to COVID-19
- contact you if a passenger on your flight or ship tests positive for COVID-19
- contact you if you are listed as a contact of someone else who has tested positive for COVID-19
- assist with activities associated with minimising the number of people becoming infected with COVID-19, and to track, prevent or slow the spread of COVID-19
- plan quarantine arrangements as required, and to manage demands on our health systems
- assess your COVID-19 risk, your quarantine requirements, whether you require additional health screening and, where applicable, your eligibility for a quarantine-free flight.
Consequences of not providing your information
If you do not provide your personal information, this will limit the ability of Australian Government agencies and state and territory agencies to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and protect you, other travellers and the Australian community. It may also limit our ability to facilitate health and quarantine requirements.
How we collect your personal information
Generally, the Department (or its contracted service providers) will collect your personal information directly from you or a third party you authorise to act on your behalf. The Australia Travel Declaration information will be stored in a secure site located in the Netherlands. We may also collect your information from other third parties, which may include other Australian Government agencies, law enforcement agencies or foreign governments.
Who we disclose your personal information to
We may disclose personal information that we collect about you to Australian Government agencies and state and territory agencies that have a responsibility for administering health and biosecurity laws, the Australian Federal Police and/or a state or territory police force or service as well as contracted service providers and airlines.
The relevant Australian Government agencies and state and territory agencies to whom your personal information may be disclosed include, but are not limited to:
- Western Australia Department of Health: healthywa.wa.gov.au
- NSW Health: www.health.nsw.gov.au
- Department of Health and Human Services: www.dhhs.vic.gov.au
- Department of Health Tasmania: www.health.tas.gov.au
- Department of Health Northern Territory: www.health.nt.gov.au
- Queensland Health: www.health.qld.gov.au
- South Australia Health: www.sahealth.sa.gov.au
- ACT Health Directorate: https://www.health.act.gov.au
- Australian Government Department of Health: www.health.gov.au
- Australian Federal Police - Australian Capital Territory Police: www.police.act.gov.au
- Queensland Police: www.police.qld.gov.au
- New South Wales Police: www.police.nsw.gov.au
- South Australia Police: www.police.sa.gov.au
- Western Australia Police Force: www.police.wa.gov.au
- Tasmania Police: www.police.tas.gov.au
- Victoria Police: www.police.vic.gov.au
- Northern Territory Police, Fire and Emergency Services: www.pfes.nt.gov.au
- Australian Federal Police: www.afp.gov.au
Disclosure of personal information to overseas recipients
Your personal information will not be disclosed to an overseas recipient without your consent unless otherwise permitted by APP 6 and APP 8 in Schedule 1 to the Privacy Act.
The Department may need to disclose your personal information to overseas recipients in limited circumstances. These circumstances include if a passenger on your flight or ship tests positive for COVID-19 or if the Australian Government has reason to believe you may have COVID-19 symptoms or may have been in contact with a person who has tested positive for COVID-19. The Department may inform your airline that you have completed an Australia Travel Declaration prior to boarding your flight. The overseas recipients to whom your personal information may be disclosed include airlines and the relevant government agencies in your home country (or another country you have travelled or transited through in the last 14 days prior to arriving in Australia) who are responsible for COVID-19 contact tracing, quarantine management and border functions.
How you can access or correct your personal information
Concerns and complaints
How you can contact us
Full contact details can be found on the Department’s website: www.homeaffairs.gov.au
Alternatively, you can provide feedback by:
- using the online feedback form
- writing to:
The Manager Global Feedback Unit
GPO Box 241
Melbourne VIC 3001 Australia